Supported by the European Commission’s DG Agriculture and Rural Development, by the EU Space Programme (DG DEFIS) and by the EU ISA2 Programme (DG DIGIT), the FaST digital service platform will make available capabilities for agriculture, environment and sustainability to EU farmers, Member State Paying Agencies, farm advisors and developers of digital solutions. The vision is for the FaST to become a world-leading platform for the generation and re-use of solutions for sustainable and competitive agriculture based on space data (Copernicus and Galileo) and other data public and private datasets. The modular platform will support EU agriculture and the Common Agricultural policy by also enabling the use of solutions based on machine learning applied to image recognition, as well as the use and reuse of IoT data, various public sector data, and user generated data.
The COVID-19 crisis has disrupted the life of societies around the world and has impacted almost all industries in the global economy. Many governments have imposed lockdowns and travel restrictions, which have brought the world to a standstill. Within this context, it has become very complex for the Paying Agencies across the EU to perform the relevant on site checks for farmer subsidy declarations.
FaST can help Member States who need it implement satellite-based checks by monitoring processes, which would accelerate farmer access to subsidies and reduce administrative burden & costs for Paying Agencies.
Thanks to the FaST platform, Sentinel data together with specific machine learning algorithms, can automatically detect crop types and push information to the farmer. The farmer then validates the result of the crop detection or if necessary sends geo-tagged photos of their field using the FaST mobile application, in order to validate their CAP declaration.
Recorded July 16th/17th 2020
The first public presentation and demo of the EU Farm Sustainability Tool and Platform (FaST), developed jointly by three European Commission DGs.
You can also download the slides of the webinar.
FaST will help lay the foundations of a comprehensive digital ecosystem for sustainable farm and land management in Europe. It will support farmers in their administrative decision-making processes, for farm profitability and environmental sustainability. At the same time, it will provide a reliable on-farm landing spot for digital solution developers (including satellite-based solutions) and service providers. It will reduce administrative burdens for farmers and Paying Agencies, and streamline communication between the farmers and public authorities.
All farm data in the palm of their hands
Direct communication to farmers
More information on their members
Better support and coordination
Data for designing and monitoring policy measures
Link to farms
Opportunities to engage farmers in innovative environmental action
Market pull from public sector clients
Direct marketing to farmers
The Common Agricultural Policy (CAP) is the largest and most promising use case for solutions based on Copernicus and Galileo in the public sector. With farming being one of the main economic sectors using such data, further realising its potential depends on adequate data sharing and solution interoperability and integration....
FaST users (farmers, Paying Agencies etc) interact with the platform through a custom mobile application and web portals accessible from any internet-connected computer.
The FaST mobile app surfaces Copernicus and Galileo capabilities to the farmer
The FaST mobile app acts as a landing point for multiple services
The national parcel registry is available to the farmer
Fertilization advice is provided through a user-friendly interface
The FaST platform integrates multiple heterogeneous data sources from participating Member States
The Paying Agencies access the platform through a web portal, where they can, amongst other things, manage users and directly communicate with them.
- Collection of agricultural algorithms from all pilots
- Conduction of technical analysis of algorithms
- Implementation and tests of Fertilicalc (Spain) and Visione (Italy) algorithms
- Identification of available data sources from each pilot: first integrations of Natura2000, NVZ and hydrology layers as well as soil databases/GIS layers in the platform
- Identification of the desired identity providers/ authentication systems for each MS/MA/PA ; implementation of FaST connectors for SPID (Italy), TARA (Estonia), OpCyl (Castillla y Leon)
- Liaison with participating regions for the development of the necessary IACS APIs
- Deployment of the cluster infrastructure on the Sobloo DIAS: service mesh, security, continuous integration and deployment
- Development of weather service connector for Spain (SiAR + AEMET)
- Scaffolding of the mobile app / website, review of the EGNSS4CAP GSA geotagged photos app
- Review of regulation on NVZ and non-NVZ in each of the 4 pilots, to customize the tool accordingly
- Definition of the FaST data model, partly based on Inspire and the Estonian eFieldbook study
Planned FaST beta-ready for the first demo. User workshops after this date will be conducted using the actual FaST platform in the current state of advancement.
This EU-supported action will result in customized, operational tools for farmers in the participating Member State Paying Agencies to provide to farmers.
If you are interested in finding out how to participate: